Over the weekend I have been watching the information drip through in Tweets about the Yandex SEO search engine leak.
Basically, someone leaked all the ranking factors used in their search engine.
Who is Yandex?
Yandex is a Russian multinational technology company specializing in Internet-related services and products. It is the largest technology company in Russia and the fourth-largest search engine in the world.
It was founded in 1997 and provides a range of services, including a search engine, email, maps, and e-commerce services.
It’s also the number one search engine in Russia. So, to have another leak of sensitive information is a little embarrassing to say the least.
I say the second because in 2016 it was reported that the search ranking algorithms for Yandex, Russia’s largest search engine, were leaked online. The leaked information was reported to include details on over 200 ranking factors used by the company’s algorithms.
The information was believed to have been obtained by hackers, however, Yandex stated that the leaked information was outdated and did not reflect their current ranking algorithms.
Nevertheless, the incident highlighted the need for companies to protect their confidential information and secure their systems against unauthorized access.
Now in 2023, we have access to all their ranking factors ( 1922 ) of them.
How can this help us with Google?
It is not recommended to use ranking factors meant for one search engine (e.g. Yandex) for ranking in another search engine (e.g. Google) as ranking algorithms of different search engines are distinct and have different priorities.
But, after looking at many of the leaked codes I can say the must and will have some similarities for Google Algorithm. But, I feel Google’s code will be more detailed and in-depth.
However, general best practices for improving website ranking on search engines include:
- Creating high-quality, relevant, and informative content
- Improving the website loading speed
- Having a mobile-friendly website
- Use reliable hosting
- Using relevant keywords on page titles, headings, and content
- Building a strong backlink profile with high-quality, relevant, and trustworthy websites
- Ensuring the website has a clear and user-friendly structure
- Main pages should be accessible in less than 2 clicks for the user
- Ensure all pages are indexing without issues
- Use Videos and reels to improve social signals
- Location and search intent (e.g. searcher’s location and the type of device used)
Take a look at my videos and you’ll see why I think it’s important to learn from what we have seen leaked from Yandex.
Much of the information can be used to rank well in other search engines like Google and Bing
I have linked the tweet in the video to the original post by Alex Buraks.
Go check the thread out.
It’s very interesting